Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Math gnomes on Ash Wednesday

128 110 056 054 053 035 023 030 020 043 Little L at school Our day in pictures.
We started our day attending Mass for Ash Wednesday.
Perhaps I should back up here for a moment to finally officially come out and say that since last September I have been attending RCIA classes to join the Roman Catholic church. I would love to go more into the how and why of my decision but just at another time as that is something quite serious and close to my heart. Okay, back to what I was saying...
Normally Little L stays home with Kevin for Mass (something else to explain another day) but he came with us this time. I was anxious about how my crazy little boy would be but he made it through almost to the end. I felt a little defeated when we eventually had to retreat to the cry room. I honestly don't know why I felt that way, he was amazing for lasting as long as he did, but for some reason or other I was a bit saddened. I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I was for the strangers that came up to me afterwards as I was snapping some pictures outside (I don't have any pictures of Little L's ashes because he decided to rub his head all over my sweater before we even left the building). One after another came to say how kind my children were and how wonderful they were during the extended Mass. I was so upset with myself and in such need of encouragement at that very moment - I don't think it was a coincidence that they appeared to help me. Their act of kindness reminded me again of how much we all need more love and support in our lives.

After that we dropped K off at school. Her class was outside playing when we arrived, so we walked her over to her teacher. As soon as her classmates saw her they started excitedly calling her name and running up to her. They circled around her exclaiming, " You do have ashes!!" How they knew about her having ashes ahead of time - I don't know, but I think the attention made her feel a bit uncomfortable because when I saw her for a school assembly an hour later, the ashes were gone. She is her mother's daughter. I prefer to be a wallflower and far away from the spotlight.

Little L and I had to step out of the assembly after K's class performed. He sat still for so long at Mass he just couldn't take it any more. I can't say I blame him! So we went out in the hallway with nothing to do. I checked K's locker and when I saw that it was in complete and utter shambles (similar to her bedroom and most of our house) something came over me and I had to clean and organize it at once. But I didn't stop there, oh no, I went and organized her desk, too. My mind felt much better afterwards. I know she gets overwhelmed so easily (like me) and seeing everything that way must have been been like a dark cloud over her. She's much happier when things are clean, then again, aren't we all?! Now if only we could keep our home more organized...

In other news, the math gnomes have now appeared in K's main lessons at school. I have been anticipating this moment ever since I first learned about them so many years ago. It thrills me to see her doing multiplication in first grade and making it all seem so easy. I'm so proud of her, and so very thankful for her education.

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...