Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Keep Calm Craft On {crafting on}



No knitting going on this time around. I should be working on that winter wheat milo but it can wait as I have two very important projects to start (and finish!) - Baby L's birthday crown and his special baby doll. Did I forget to mention my crazy last minute doll making idea?



Am I completely insane?! While I do ask myself that very question a few times each day, I think I may have truly gone off the deep end this time. I am going to try to make Baby L his special 'L baby' with only 12 days until his birthday. I tend to sew in spurts so projects like these usually take me quite awhile. We'll see what happens. I did order a pre-made crocheted cap to save myself the agony of trying to learn how to crochet in that short amount of time. (Someday I will learn how to... maybe when K learns in 4th grade) That should help me out. I do believe 'L baby' will be presented wrapped in a blanket, though, as I do not foresee time to sew or knit him clothing. Maybe the root children can remedy that for him when they come next month. Anyways, I should stop yapping and get to it!

I will leave you with that simple hedgehog tutorial that I promised last week. Today seems like a good day to post it. (You might remember when I first made one a couple of years ago) It is inspired by The Nature Corner. I made a couple just last week for our class project in the school auction coming up.

Teasel Hedgehog Tutorial:



Materials needed:

- a teasel (dipsacus follonum)
- three black headed pins




Cut the stem off of the teasel leaving 1/4" of less for the nose. Then cut off the long spiky parts around the nose area. You can make his underside flat by trimming the spikes on his belly so that he doesn't roll over, or you can gently flatten them with your finger.



Next take one of your pins and stick it into the hollow opening of the cut off stem. I found that the pins used for the eyes were too long and would stick out of the hedgehog's body, so I would cut them at about the half way point and then insert them wherever I thought best above his nose. If you feel the need to, you can shape your hedgehog to be round and fuller by trimming his spikes with scissors as you see fit.



Voila! You're done. See? So simple but so cute! Now go put them on your nature table. Perhaps have them hibernating in a little burrow under a playsilk until spring arrives.

If you would like to join me and share your current works in progress please leave your link below. There are no rules, only that your link is current and something about a craft project (of any kind) you are working on. Please remember to link back here for all of us to see. It's as simple as that. Remember your post can be from any day of the week, it doesn't have to be today. Now please share and inspire us all!


What are you working on? Happy creating!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...