Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mix a Pancake

I found this never published post from last summer as I was cleaning up and organizing my blog info. I don't know why I never published it, but I am so happy I didn't so that I could come across it now. We are dealing with some food sensitivities, again, so my thoughts have been on food a great deal of the time, lately.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Mix a pancake
Stir a pancake
Pour it in the pan.

Toss the pancake,
Fry the pancake,
Catch it if you can.
- Our Pancake Making Song




One of our absolute favorite things to do is to make pancakes together. Especially when I have morning sickness, my body craves our yummy pancakes like nothing else. We cook them on a cast iron skillet so perhaps it is the iron my body is craving, I am not sure really, but I won't argue with it!

The girls love to mix up the batter and add in the fresh fruit. Of course, the best part is when we are done and they get to lick their spatulas.



We have been enjoying summer breakfast picnics with our pancakes outside on our porch in the beautiful sunshine. Father sun rarely makes an appearance out here in Oregon so when he does we take advantage of every single moment of it.



Not only do my girls enjoy helping me make pancakes but it appears in their play, as well. They love to make dirt pancakes when they are playing outside. It's always fun to see what aspects of everyday life get incorporated into play.



Pouring the batter



patting it into pancake shape



Oh so much fun!



Here's our family pancake recipe. It's been a work in progress for the past 6 years or so as I keep adapting it to make it healthier and healthier. It is soy, egg and dairy free. The original recipe was made with all white flour, lots of eggs and sugar. I think we have it to where we want it now. Maybe someday I'll work on less oil or replacing the oil all together but for now here is our everyday morning breakfast creation.



Spring Pancakes

1 3/4 Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
7 Tbsp Canola Oil (or other veg. oil)
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking Powder
Rice Drink (about 1 1/2 cups)
Fruit of Your Choice chopped into small pieces(if you desire)
Flax seed meal (if you desire)

In a bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder (and a sprinkling of flax meal if you desire to make it healthier) until blended. Then add the oil. Mix again. Now add the rice drink and mix just a bit to incorporate. The way I do this is to add a little at a time until I get my desired consistency. You may use more or less than 1 1/2 cups. You want the batter to be a tiny bit thick but yet still liquidy enough to pour easily. Do not over stir the batter as it will make the pancakes tough. Once the batter is at the right consistency add your cut up fruit, and gently mix in. Pour the batter onto a pre-heated skillet (cast iron is our favorite) over low to medium heat. Cook until it begins to bubble (about a minute or two), flip it over and then cook the other side. Serve immediately topping with fresh fruit or pure maple syrup.


Enjoy!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...