Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday is 'Craft Day'

Thursday is the day we make some kind of 'more involved' craft. Felting is a super fun and easy craft for little ones, so we like to do it quite a bit.

After buying the latest issue of Living Crafts,seen below:



We had to make the felted pumpkin box.



It was an easy wet felting project that K and I had lots of fun doing together. It didn't come out perfect but that's ok, we made it with love :)

First we wrapped a tennis ball in pumpkin colored wool and then we tied wool yarn around it creating the pumpkin's "sections".

Here's K starting the felting process by rolling it around in her hands with hot soapy water. This is her favorite part.





Then she rubbed and rolled it on the wash board for a good 10 minutes:



Once the pumpkin body was done she worked on the stem:



We let it all dry, cut off the top and sewed the stem on. Then we filled it with acorns and voila!
It is proudly displayed on our autumn nature table with her beloved bat seated behind it.

ETA: oops I forgot the finished product pic!


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been eyeballing that project ever since I received the mag several weeks ago. It is on my to do list...which unfortunately doesn't mean much around here! Glad you guys had fun making it. It's all about the process, right?! Anyway, your inspiration has definetly moved the project up on my to do list...so thanks!

Kimara
www.weefolkart.com

FrontierDreams said...

Yay! I'm glad I could inspire you to move it up the list :) Iit was fun!
I forgot to add a pic of the finished project so I just added it.

Sheila said...

oooh! i need that mag, i want to make one of those, and the crowns too! did you see those crowns by berrie from moonchild?! I love them. I miss you!

Jennifer Johnson said...

I saw your blog yesterday and was intrigued by this project. I haven't tried felting yet, but my son has expressed an interest in knitting, and felting seems like a bit easier to learn first. When I was at the store today, this mag was in the checkout area, so I picked it up. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I think I could actually do this! My son saw me flipping through it and begged me to help him make the pumpkin, so we're going to try to find a yarn store tomorrow and get supplies. Thanks for the example to follow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...