Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Waldorf Homeschooling - Kindergarten year one (her first day!)

Might that be the longest title yet on this blog of mine? Ha!
I thought it only proper to share a glimpse of C's first day of school, too. I didn't take a lot of pictures but they still give you an idea, at least.

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

Monday was our first official day, and in our weekly kindergarten rhythm that is baking day. Monday has actually always been baking day for us so I thought I would keep that the same. I wanted to ease C into our homeschooling rhythm so we kept the day simple, easy going, and I did my best to focus on keeping my attention on her and out time together (Well, the best I can with a little monkey named Little L on my back!). I think that is the key (for C) to make her truly enjoy our schooling together.

I set up two lambies on the children's side of the kitchen and we began our day with an opening verse (with hand movements):

Good morning dear earth,
Good morning dear sun,
Good morning dear fairies and the flowers every one,
Good morning dear beasts and the birds in the trees,
Good morning to you and good morning to me.


Then I put on my apron and C put on her special school apron (It was an apron we made together in parent/child class last year. She'll only use that one on our school days to keep it special), and we set up to bake. We decided on a loaf of bread. I gathered the ingredients and told C how much we needed of each but I let her make it all on her own. She was thrilled over that, smiling the whole time as she worked.
She even cut up zucchinis for our dinner exclaiming "I am so glad I am homeschooling, Mama! It's lots of fun." I let out a big sigh of relief over that statement.

We sang this song as she made the dough:

Blow wind, blow
And go mill, go
That the miller may grind it
As flour we'll find it
To bring to the baker at dawn
To bring to the baker at dawn

Blow wind, blow
And go mill, go
That the baker may take it
And into bread make it
To bring us a loaf
In the morn
To bring us a loaf in the morn.


Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

We cleaned up together as the dough was rising and I did a story for her (I plan on doing more elaborate puppet shows in the coming weeks, once I have things planned out a bit better), followed by lunch and a closing verse. By then it was time to go pick up K. I realized I will need to have better time management skills if I am to fit more into our daily rhythm for school. But this was just our first day so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. Then again, Waldorf kindergartens are modeled after home life so I don't want to overdo it and cram too much into one day.

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one
picture by K!

K was more excited to hear about C's first day of school than to tell us how her day went. C showed off her bread and K, being the proud big sister that she is, snapped a picture to "remember C's accomplishment".(Yes, we still have our beeswax leaves from last Autumn hanging up...)

Waldorf homeschooling - first day of kindergarten year one

That evening all partook in C's bread for dinner along with some zucchini soup (recipe from either Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook or Forks Over Knives - The How To Companion, I forgot which of the two it was at this moment). I am happy to report we thoroughly enjoyed it which just tickled C with delight.

I think we can do this. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
More to come!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...