Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Autumn Sheep



Well, Halloween came and went. I planned on knitting up three sheep costumes for my three little ones but plans changed. K decided she wanted to be a fairy and I just didn't have the time to do anything for Baby L so our flock shrank to just one sheep. Oh, but she was a joyful sheep!











Forgive the dark,grainy pictures. The sun was just about gone and I had to use a high ISO setting on my camera. Blech.
The pattern was a free one on Ravelry and you can find my rav notes here. My only modifications were to make the straps to go over her shoulders. She is really sensitive to a lot of fabrics and wool so I didn't want it to be too close to her face. It was supposed to be a size 3-4 but it came out quite bigger than that. It is even big on K at age 6! This ended up being perfect for Halloween night, though, as we needed to wear jackets. Her lamb 'fleece' fit right over her big winter coat with no problems. See, I meant to make it that big! Since it runs so large maybe we can try for our sheep flock again next year. I know our german shepherd would like that. She was a bit disappointed she wasn't able to guard the whole flock of sheep.





As I briefly mentioned (and you could see) in my pumpkin post last week, I finished Baby L's autumn leggings. You can find my rav notes here. It was about time. I started them late last spring! The pattern is the February Baby Leggings from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. I purchased this book last year to knit C's (2nd) birthday sweater, after getting past my fear of knitting a Zimmermann pattern. I am not sure exactly what it is, but there is something a bit daunting to me about following her patterns. I tend to over think them and that's where my issues arise. I have now knit two of her patterns and survived so you'd think I would be over it, right? I'm not. I want to knit her baby surprise jacket but I am shaking a bit over the thought of it...
Anyways, I was inspired to knit these by Amanda's gorgeous pair (knit with some yummy Sweet Basil Fibre Works yarn!) after a couple of false starts on the baby leggings with adjustments to needle size and running out of yarn, I finished them up just in time for the autumn cold to hit. I have to say, I am in L-O-V-E. I do believe this may replace the picky pants as my new all time favorite longies pattern. They have quite a tall rise on them but that is just perfect for keeping a baby's core warm during those cold fall/winter months. I am really happy with how the leggings decrease right before the ankle ribbing, making them snug and tight to prevent drafts from giving Baby L a chill.
They are overall the perfect pattern, in my little old humble opinion.













I realized I didn't have any close up pictures of them on Baby L so I took him outside tonight for some last minute ones...again the sun was pretty much gone so they are dark and grainy...and I am just always finding the faults in everything, huh? Geesh.

In other news, my babywearer project is sitting in the corner gathering dust. I'll get back to it, really - I will! Now that the Halloween knitting is done, I am gearing up for Christmas. I ordered my Phoebe's Sweater yarn and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I plan on kicking off the Phoebe's Sweater KAL next week (with or without my yarn) with an amazing giveaway so keep your eyes open for that. Also, later this week my talented friend and designer Megan Grewal will be offering up something extra special to help inspire your wintertime/holiday knitting.

What are you working on? Happy creating!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...