Monday, September 5, 2011

Rhythm In Our Home : Drawing Day



Wednesday is our drawing day.

Along with our day of rest/holy day - this is probably the simplest day of our rhythm. That is quite intentional. During the school year C and I have our parent/child class on Wednesdays and we also have our weekly play date after school with our dear friends. For us that is quite the full day so the idea of planning a crafting activity, baking in the kitchen or mixing the paint and waiting 20 minutes for the paper to soak for wet on wet watercolor painting just seems exhausting.



The girls grab their drawing/painting boards, their crayon caddy and their paper and sit down to draw. We don't use coloring books or pictures (except on the rare occasion when we are out to eat and the waitress gives them am image to color), I prefer for them to use their imagination. I do not instruct them in any way on what or how to draw (I never have),I let them decide for themselves. On occasion I'll mention that some one's birthday or a holiday may be coming up and they will usually follow my lead and draw a picture for that person/event.



We use the Stockmar beeswax crayons. I strongly believe in children having nice art supplies to be able to fully bring what they envision to life. These crayons may seem pricey compared to crayola but they are so worth it. The feel of them in your hand and the colors/images they produce are worth it alone.We have had these crayons since K turned one and at the rate they are going I imagine they will last through all our children.
K uses the stick version of the crayons while C uses the block version,since she is still young. Of course C grabs K's crayons, too, but I try to encourage her to use the block ones when I can.



There is a great Rudolf Steiner book Colourabout the influence of color on us.


Cat fur, anyone?

For the most part our crayon colors are nature inspired and cheerful. We didn't use black until recently. I discovered that K's kindergarten classroom offered the children black on their drawing day so I decided we would bring it to ours, as well. At first K colored everything black (perhaps making up for lost time?!) but now they barely use it. We still don't really use black for anything else, though.
That is just a personal preference of mine.

Please remember - this is just our family rhythm and what works for us at the moment. This isn't meant to be hard and fast rules on how rhythm should go in every one or any one's homes. I just thought to share it because I receive quite a few e-mails asking about our home rhythm, and I also just wanted it documented for me to remember when they are older and on to another rhythm.

As for last weeks post : I will post pictures of the girls crafting spaces this week or the next. There isn't the best lighting where they are located,and it's a tight squeeze with my 50mm lens so they're bit tricky to photograph.

Thank you, again, for joining me in the rhythm fun! Here is the linky list. If you have a (new or old) link you would like to share about your family rhythm, please enter it below so that we all may see. Then please link back here in your post. I look forward to seeing your inspiration!
Thanks friends!


P.S. Don't forget to enter to win a copy of the adorable union suit pattern here!

P.P.S I hope to share our birthday rhythm coming up in the next couple of weeks as we celebrate K's 6th birthday.

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...