Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Crafting On (and a tale about a rescued woodchuck)

The act of creating, in one form or another, preserves my sanity amongst the chaos of life. This explains why I always have more than one project going at a time as well as why my housework tends to fall behind. I enjoy seeing what others are working on and keeping calm with, too. What are you creating? What is keeping you going? Snap a picture or two, post it on your blog, on Instagram #craftingon and/or Flickr and then share it with the rest of us by leaving your link below.
crafting on (and a tale about Chuck-it a rescued woodchuck)
I was all set to finally do a blog post on Sunday night all about our road trip/move and then "Chuck-it" happened. My family and I were out and about after church on Sunday when we noticed a small animal in the road. We drove past him and he didn't move but was obviously alive. Kevin pulled the van over and we jumped out to check on him. Upon closer inspection we saw that he was a juvenile groundhog (aka woodchuck). We tried to get him to the side of the road but he wasn't able to walk properly. He would take a step or two and then fall over. Kevin wrapped him in one of our dog's towels so we could examine him and see what was wrong. There didn't appear to be any external injuries but he obviously needed help. Since we are new to the area we didn't know of anyone to take him to (and we don't have smart phones) so we wrapped him up in the towel, placed him in my lap and drove.

Kevin spent over an hour calling vets trying to find the closest wildlife rehabilitation center. Eventually he was told that the closest one was about an hour and a half away from us. That pretty much took the rest of the day from us but we were okay with it. It is important to us to teach our children compassion through our own examples. Plus by this point our whole family had fallen in love with him. The kids even gave him a name: Chuck-it. We all wanted to see this little guy get taken care of. The hour and a half drive took a bit longer than expected as we got a little lost but we got Chuck-it to the rehabilitation center safely. By the time we arrived back at our house it was nearly midnight and we were all exhausted. So there you have it. Excuses, excuses. I know. I'm sorry. Let's move on to Crafting On, shall we?

After about a month of my knitting collecting dust, I finally picked C's Camilla sweater back up. I am on the sleeves portion now. I can't wait to get this finished up.

p.s. - Kevin called and checked on Chuck-it this morning. He has neurological damage (they assume from a car) but they are hoping he will make a full recovery. 😍

p.p.s - No, I din't have my camera on me for once. I was so bummed!

What are you working on? Happy creating!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...