Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The manly art of sewing

Kevin sewing sewing partner Sewing partner Kevin sewing Kevin's sewing Dog booties (for bikejoring) sewn by Kevin dog booties (for bikejoring) sewn by Kevin Paw Paw's booties sewn by Kevin Paw Paw's booties 118 Like son, like father?! Well, that seems to be the case in our family, at least when it comes to sewing. Perhaps it was Little L's experience with sewing for the first time, or the desire to save money by making it himself or maybe a combination of the two, but either way -  Kevin is sewing! I can't help but be giddy over that.

A couple of summers ago, when we still lived in Oregon, Kevin wanted me to sew the dogs' booties for bikejoring. We went out and bought the fabric and supplies and after studying a booty we already had, I made a pattern and sewed a booty. It looked okay but something had gone terribly wrong in my pattern making because it came out way too small. The project was thrown to the side and forgotten about by me. Kevin didn't forget though. Fast forward to this winter -  He dug out all the fabric and supplies and asked me to show him how to use the sewing machine and how to do certain techniques. He created a (much better!!) pattern and began sewing. The children all sat in awe watching their daddy sew. It took him a couple of days to complete his first set of booties but now he sews them up so fast he's is like a machine! It's a good thing, too, because Paw Paw in particular goes through his booties every few days. He is such a strong puller and hard on his paws. That's why these are so important for him as well as the other dogs, especially when running on pavement.

 I am sure you can imagine, keeping up with buying premade booties at the rate our dogs go through them could get pretty costly, too so Kevin's sewing is a nice little gift to our budget. Of course now I have to get in line when I want to use my sewing machine but I don't mind. It's actually rather comforting to hear the hum of the sewing machine as I go about my day in the house.

p.s. - I was hoping to post about the food budgeting tonight but got off to a late start. I'll post about next week when I am awake enough to articulate my thoughts.










Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...