Monday, August 13, 2012

This day of mine

My birthday table set up from the girls

My birthday cards

Singing happy birthday

K 'teaching' C

K 'teaching'C

K 'teaching C

City Bikes bike shop

City Bikes bike shop

End of the day sprinkler fun

End of the day sprinkler fun

End of the day sprinkler fun

End of the day sprinkler fun (K to the rescue)

Today was my birthday and what a fine day it was. My little ones woke me up in the morning with a birthday crown on my pillow (it was K's crown. She said hers worked best since our birthdays are only one month apart) and lots of hugs and kisses. We attended Mass and then came home for a celebration. The girls had set up a birthday table for me all on their own (they woke up extra early to do so) and all three of my children made me a card. C found her birthday crown in the process of setting up the table and decided to wear it for the day. Why not?!

There was even a handmade card from Kevin (gasp) and in it he wrote that they would take me out to eat for my birthday (Yipee!!!) along with another gift - which I will get to in a moment. We departed for Native Foods shortly thereafter and enjoyed some of the best vegan food around. Just as good as I remember it being in California - seriously yum.

After we filled our bellies (perhaps a bit too much!), we went on to the next gift. In the card he said we would go looking at wedding bands to get ideas, and my size and then he would give it to me on our 9th wedding anniversary coming up next month. You see, Kevin and I got married rather quickly and a wedding ring wasn't a big deal to me at the time. It still isn't a huge deal but I admit I rather like the idea of forever wearing a symbol of our marriage wrapped around my finger. I guess I can be a bit romantic and girly after all!

After our browsing we came home and it was bedtime for my children. I thought I would let them get away with staying up a bit later for some sprinkler fun, though. It was quite a hot one today and playing in water seemed like just the thing to say 'thank you' for all that they did for me.

To be clear - the material things did not make my day. The fact that I was remembered and that my family wanted to make me feel special is what made this day so remarkable. I am so grateful! I found out that Kevin and the girls stayed up planning this day on their snuggle night this week. I have to say I feel pretty darn wonderful knowing that they did that. The picture in my head of the three of them cuddling and scheming together just melts my heart.

I am not trying to gloat in any way, either. I just want to remember this day and savour it. Similar to this year's Mother's day. (That was the first one celebrated in the 6 years I have been a Mama so it's rather a big deal for me.) Some of you might remember my birthday confession from last year, and that was a typical birthday for me. This is the first year that K was able to remember when it was. I admit I slightly took the matter into my own hands this time around with a few precautionary measures of my own such as writing 'Mama's Birthday' on our calender and verbally reminding Kevin on Friday (when I did so he mumbled 'Oops, guess I'd better cancel that puppy play date. Hee,hee), but I'm ok with that. Poor Kevin is sitting next to me playing catch up on work now, but I hope he thinks it was worth it, too.

Well, I am off to curl up with a dog or two and read for as long as I am able to. I had the ultimate pile of books waiting for me at the library today and I can't wait to dive into them - A Severe Mercy, Forks Over Knives:The Plant-Based Way to Health, and The Mcdougall Quick and Easy Cookbook , to name a few. Sounds like the perfect way to end my day.

I hope you all had a beautiful weekend!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...