Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hand in Hand: Crafting with Kids (AKA Spilling the beans)

031

Remember the good news I promised you all last week? I was planning on posting about it later in the week but I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. I'm not even sure where to begin. I can't seem to put into words the emotions behind all of this, and I know I won't do it justice, but I am going to give it a try.

016
Cutie K in the front of the book

I was contacted a little over a year and a half ago about contributing to a book with 19 other bloggers. The topic was crafting with children. I was very pregnant (and tired) with Baby L at the time so I wasn't sure if I was up to it or not. I always doubt my capabilities, too. I wondered why was I so fortunate to receive this? What could I really offer to anyone? I knew after a short deliberation (worked through with Kevin), that I needed to face my fears and accept this challenge and wonderful blessing. It was an offer I just couldn't refuse. I mean really, they had me at 'crafting'.

054

So began my adventure in the world of book publishing. Goodness, I am so thankful for it all. The whole thing just simply humbles me so very much. It really made me open my eyes and take a good look at myself. I feel like I have learned quite a bit. Not to mention the fun the girls and I had deciding on, and creating, our craft project.

040

062

After waiting a year and trying to keep my mouth closed on this adventure, our book arrived at our doorstep. I felt like Meryl Streep's interpretation of Julia Child when she opened up her book in Julie & Julia. Of course this is nothing like that, but if you've seen that movie it will give you an idea as to how excited I was. I showed my girls right away and asked them if they recognized any of the children in the book. They seemed quite confused, and I know they don't fully grasp it, but they were still all smiles upon finding themselves.

K already has projects she wants us to make from the book. At the top of her list is Ella's (of Little Red Caboose) felted flower bowl and Amanda's (of soulemama) blanket. We have the next two weeks off from school for spring break so maybe she'll get her wish. All of the projects look like they will be great for us to do together. I look forward to trying them all.

005

To see my name along with women who I have admired for quite some time leaves me speechless. Such an honor and so very humbling. I still can't believe it. Yes, I'm using a lot of "humbles" but that word pretty much sums up my whole experience.

030

022

I looked at my pages long enough to photograph them but that's all so far. I am quite silly, I know, but I just can't look at them yet - seeing myself and reading my words...it feels so different in print!



Like I said before, my post would not do justice to this amazing experience but I had to share the news with all of you. I've been wanting to spill the beans for so long now. The book doesn't come out until April 3rd but you can pre-order it here. Check it out, and I would love to hear what you think! Thank you to Jenny Doh for this chance and to all of you for your constant inspiration and support.

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...