Monday, March 29, 2010
You might remember the Princess and the Pea set I made for K last summer as a surprise on our road trip. Well, the other day I decided to throw the mattresses in the washer to give them a good cleaning. I figured since they were stuffed with bamboo they would be ok; alas, I was wrong. The bamboo balled up into little clumps making the mattresses much to lumpy for a princess. Funny, I thought using bamboo meant it would be machine washable (instead of my usual stuffing choice - wool)
Before (Picture taken in sunny Virginia)
I took advantage of the opportunity and with my little helpers made an assembly line to re-do the mattresses. I used a seam ripper to open them all up then I gave five to K and five to C. I showed them what to do and they both happily went to work pulling all of the stuffing out and then re-stuffing them with more bamboo (we will hand wash them from now on). Then we all went downstairs and sewed the mattresses closed again.
After (Picture taken in Oregon - what a difference!)
There was a slight problem with our mattress makeover... they ended up a lot fuller than last time, so the Princess couldn't get into bed. The girls and I quickly came up with a solution. We went out to our wonderful forest backyard and gathered some sturdy sticks. Then we brought them inside to dry out (it's always raining here). Once they were dry, we sawed or broke them to the right size, used some hemp cord to hold each piece in place and fashioned a ladder.
Another fun use of nature's bounty, and now the Princess can safely climb into a lump free bed to sleep uncomfortably on top of a pea. Peace is restored in our fairytale land.
Wishing you all a beautiful week!