Monday, February 4, 2013

The tranquility and the ruckus (all on Candlemas)

374 379 172 candlemas 124 126 408 399 396 432 422 420 428

We celebrated Candlemas on Saturday with sunshine!! (You can see our past Candlemas celebrations here) The sun seemed almost too intense for our Oregon eyes after such a long absence, but our how our bodies loved soaking up every last second of it.

In celebration, K hand dipped a beeswax candle in class on Friday. She said it took her over an hour. Granted, her concept of time is all her own so I am not sure how long it really took, but I am imaging quite awhile! She made it so thick it has to balance on top of our candle holder because it won't fit in the hole. I love it. I don't know if I will ever be able to burn it. She also made a candle out of modeling beeswax in class during Advent but somehow it found it's way back on our nature table for Candlemas. I do so enjoy when the girls add things they feel are important.

At home we rolled our own beeswax candles. We were actually thinking ahead and making those candles as K's St. Valentines day gifts for her classmates. I'm trying to be better about not procrastinating with things of that nature. Of course who knows how long it will take me to get around to making the next thing to go with the gifts!

But let's get back to that sunshine, shall we? It made rainbows through our sun crystal all over the girls room. This caused lots of "welcome back sun dances" (If you have read this book, you'll know what I mean) and endless giggles from all three of my little ones. Such magic in the gift of light. I was so happy to be able to take pictures in the girls room again. It's not very often that there is enough light for me to do so. It's funny now to think back to a couple of years ago when I lazured their bedroom walls - I expected to take most of my pictures in there. It's so comfortable and tranquil in their room. Someday I hope to get around to lazuring our bedroom, as well.

My special kitty Geisha, on the other hand, did not have as warm and fuzzy of a day as we did. Little L managed to open the gate to our stairs (which saves our cats from our predator dog Paw Paw) and  Paw Paw snuck into the kitty territory. He found Geisha and chased after her causing such a ruckus that all of my children were in tears. Kevin and I got Paw Paw back downstairs and comforted our children, but poor Geisha was shaken to the core. There was no physical damage but lots of emotional damage, for sure. The last time Paw Paw got near her (4 years ago or so) it ended with her going to the vet with a puncture wound. Huskies have an insane prey drive so we can't blame him but oh I wish he would leave her alone! I think I mentioned before that she was a rescued feral cat. She was found living inside of a wall in an abandoned home. She still seems to look for small spots that confine her. K's lunch basket up on top of our fridge ended up being her safe haven for all of Saturday and even part of Sunday morning. She would cover me in kisses each time I passed by, letting me know she was okay. Kevin said she looked like Oscar the Grouch up there in her basket with only her eyes peering out. If that's the case then she's the cutest little Oscar I have ever seen!!


Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...