Wednesday, June 2, 2010

WIP Wednesday : In Honor of Kelly

I am taking a break from my usual WIP posts to share a project dear to me



I first learned about an amazing, amazing woman named Kelly last winter. Nicole from Gardenmama sent me an e-mail about the Wellness Tree - a project of hope and encouragement she created for Kelly. I was touched after reading her story and I knew I had to help out in any way I could. For me, that meant creating. I wet felted her this candle ornament along with one of our nightly verses that just felt perfect.

Some of you may already know Kelly recently left this world much too soon, after losing her battle with cancer. Honestly, to say I was shocked at the news is an understatement, I really wanted to pretend it wasn't real. Nicole wrote a beautiful tribute to her here.

I knew, again, that I needed to do something for her sweet baby boy Ari and husband in her memory. Then I saw that Tonya from Natural Earth Farm was starting up a blanket project and I knew that was the perfect thing.



I knit up one square using a pattern from the Spring issue of Living Crafts and I am currently working on my second square. I hope to knit quite a few squares to mail out to Tonya for this blanket ASAP.



I am asking those of you that knit to please, please check out the project and consider knitting a square. The deadline to mail them to Tonya is June 15th. The squares are 6"in size so they do not take a lot of time to make, but are still filled with all of our love.

If you do not knit but would still like to contribute please check out this post via the Wellness Tree for inspiration of other things to make. I hope after I complete some more squares for Ari's blanket I can make something else, I just haven't figured out what that something else will be yet. I wish I could do so much more...

You can learn more about Kelly at The Wellness Tree. Thank you Nicole and Tonya for putting this together and thank you to all of you who took the time to read this and, perhaps, even contributed in our efforts.

May we as mothers and women hold Kelly in our hearts and may we honor her strength in our everyday as we mother our own children and act in a mothering spirit to everyone we come across.
- Nicole at Gardenmama

Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great project, I will check it out!

Joy said...

Those are both beautiful, Nicole! <3

TulsiLeaf said...

Oh my goodness! This post reminded me I need to get working on my squares!!!!!!!

It's just to sad about Kelly.

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

I think this is going to be the most beautiful project, I am almost finished with my square, thank you for taking the time to share more words about Kelly, it is not something I find myself able to do.
xoxo

Elizabeth said...

My square is being sent out today. Thank you for sharing this with your readers.

Mama Rose said...

Nicole, I was very shocked to hear that Kelly had passed also. I'm glad to have sent her something made with love so that she knew other mother's were holding her in our hearts. It's very sad. I so wish I knew how to knit (I only crochet), or I would love to be a part of this special project for her loved ones. Thank you so much for sharing!

Counting Coconuts said...

Hi Nicole,

I've been following your blog for some time now, but I don't know that I've ever left a comment. Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts and that I linked back to you today in my post about Daily Rhythm.

Warmly,
Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts
www.countingcoconuts.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

i'm working on my squares too....i was so heart broken when i got the news about kelly. i just want to wrap her little boy in all the love he can get, so this is the perfect project...

love you girl!

Nicola said...

Beautiful, Nicole.
Nicola

Tonya Gunn said...

I just wanted to add that crocheted 6" squares are fine too.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Tonya Gunn said...

Nicole,
Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes yet again. This project is touching me to the core... much more than I realized it would... and I think that it will mean so much to Ari and his father to know that so much love is being put into the squares and the other handmade goodness.
I have received several squares already (some have come and will be coming from Ari's relatives as well) and I know that a beautiful knit quilt will be emerging soon.
We can use as many squares as people can knit...
many thanks for blogging about this and for contributing such beautiful squares.
Warm wishes, Tonya

gardenmama said...

Dearest Nicole,
I am so moved by reading your post. Thank you for sharing this love through your kind, gentle words.
I am so grateful that we as mothers can come together to share love with Kelly's sweet little one and husband. Your knit squares are so full with love I can see that so clearly, thank you. xoxo

Cristina said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Nicole. You are a sweetheart! It's been kind of a depressing time for me as I've seen a client die of cervical cancer, my mother-in-law is going through chemo for leukemia, my aunt died 2 weeks ago of sarcodosis (an auto-immune disorder).
It is so nice to see this community reach out to Kelly's family.
It must be so hard for her parents to see their child pass away.
I'm sure little Ari will come to treasure this special gift. Cristina (mom to a little girl named Kelly)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...