Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Finding our rhythm-Session 1: Mealtime blessings/verses



So I am really trying now to set our rhythm at home and one thing I am working on is our verses throughout the day. I love our bedtime verse:
The moon is round,
The moon is round,
It has two eyes,
But knows,
No sound

C even seems to love this one all ready.
But I am having a hard time picking our mealtime one. I have at least narrowed it down to these three:

1.Earth who gives to us this food,
Sun who makes it ripe and good,
Dear sun,Dear earth,by you we live,
Our loving thanks to you we give

2.A garden's bounty before us...
We thank the gardener's hands,
that tilled the earth,that planted seeds,
that nurtured the plentiful land.

3. We gather 'round this table,
where bodies are renewed,
where hearts appease their hunger
for we feast on more than food.


What's your opinion? I went for the ones that don't mention anything spiritual so that Kevin will partake in this tradition as well.

I am trying to have set times for our meals too to further help our rhythm. We eat breakfast right at waking all ready so that's pretty much set but lunch and dinner are all over the place *sigh*

The pics,by the way are of K's snack from the other day. She said she was hungry, took her bowl out to the garden and picked exactly what you see here. A variety or heirloom tomatoes and some basil leaves. Yum,yum!!


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

lori said...

oh yum, she has good taste. looks like the makings of a wonderful salad. and she is just getting more and more gorgeous and full of life each day!

Carrotflowers said...

Hi Nichol--- this is Amelia, we met at a Kinderhaus thing. We say a modified one of the mealtime blessings: "Earth who gives to us our food, sun who makes it ripe and good, dearest earth and dearest sun, joy and love (or thanks to you) for all you've done." I'm practice Sufism and my kids' father (my ex-husband) is an atheist, so this is what we've agreed on. ;D

Shea Darian in "Seven Times the Sun" wrote this song which works well for a blessing but is sort of long. "A gnome in the garden told me of the wind that carries the rain, of the rain that feeds the earth, of the earth that holds the grain. A gnome in the garden told me of the sun's shining rays, and the gard'ner who dwells there working patiently today. The gnome said, 'Please remember, thank the wind and rain and land, thank the bright and shining sun and the gard'ner's tending hand.'"

The Little Brown Acorn said...

Hi! My name is Joy, I'm the mother of E, my 7 year old dd, and H, my 1 1/2 year old ds. At E's school we always said the first blessing.. earth who gives to us this food, sun who makes it ripe and good, dear sun, dear earth, our loving thanks to you we give... then we always end with .. we are making our golden crown, blessing on our snick snack.(or breakfast or dinner.. whatever meal you're partaking in) when we say the golden crown part, we all touch hands.. palm to palm and raise them up... it makes it seem like our hands are the little points on the crown. Some times.. when we're so hungary.. we just do the golden crown part! All my best to you! Joy

raspberrymama said...

Hi. Could you tell me where you found the second blessing you have posted, the "Gardenr's Bounty" one? My e-mail is melcotterill@hotmail.com.
Thank you, Mel.

FrontierDreams said...

Hi there. I unfortunately do not remember which of my books I found it in. I am thinking Seven Times the Sun or maybe Festivals, Family and Food. HTH!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...