Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A little cozy corner of our home

morning light .:Morning light in our new corner:. cozy corner window star in window above play canopy and little rocking chair .:Window star in the window above the canopy and little rocking chair:. field guide basket .:All our field and nature guides together in a basket for quick reference and unplanned nature walks:. cozy corner L's blocks next to the child size rocking chair .:Little L's buckets of blocks on the other side of the little rocking chair:. the piano is just barely in the foreground of this shot .:Our piano is on the very close opposite wall, you can see it peeking in the foreground of this shot:. my place to rock, knit and observe
.:My little spot to rock, knit and observe:. knitting basket on stump table .:An ongoing simple knitting project in the basket on our stump table. This project is one that the girls and I can pick up and work on at anytime:. morning light .:More morning light. We had to find some way to create privacy without blocking the beautiful light (due to a neighbor coming by our home no less than five times a day and peeking in our windows while banging on them and shouting "I know you're in there!!" Unfortunately, I am not exaggerating, but let's not dwell on that uncomfortable situation and focus on the warm light...) I have temporarily glued whole sheets of white window star paper on the bottom half of our windows, which you can see in the above photo, in the front of our house. The tops of the windows are open and filled with window stars:. K reading to her siblings (with popcorn!) .:K reading to her siblings while snacking on popcorn:.

A couple of weeks ago, I rearranged our family/living room for K. I wanted her to have a cozy little spot to inspire her new found love of reading. Oh boy, has it inspired! She can be found there more than any other place in our home, usually with her little sister and brother begging her to read them stories. She is always so happy to oblige. She is proud of her new skill, as I do believe she should be!
All three of my children love to just rest in the cozy corner, or snack and do puzzles on the floor. This room that used to be ignored by most, has now become one of the most sought after rooms in our home. With K starting third grade this fall, we hope to have our piano tuned for her to begin lessons. Then, not only will stories be heard from that little space but also beautiful sounds of perseverance will fill the air.

----------------------------------------------------------

P.S - I admit that I have been hesitant to share pictures of our home on here. To be frank, we do not live in an old, beautiful farmhouse, cottage or bungalow, but a very plain, modern one story house that looks just like all our neighbors (thanks base housing). Don't get me wrong, we are so grateful for this little house and the money we are saving by staying here, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone wanting to see it. K's new corner made me get past that, though. I hope you don't mind me sharing! If not, I do hope to share more soon. I have to figure out what to do with the wasted space between our living/family room and our kitchen. It is such a dark room without windows because it is meant to be an entertainment room and apparently you don't want light in a room you use to watch tv. Since we don't own a tv, and light is a beautiful thing to us, it has just kind of sat there waiting for me to come up with some use for it. We could use the space, for sure, but how, oh how, can I use it with so little light? It's darkness stifles to me.

P.P.S - Thank you, thank you for all of your kind word and wisdom! We kind of have a farmhouse/Waldorf style going on but I feel like it's more of a LACK of style :p I am so self-conscious, huh?

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...