Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Burning the Midnight Oil



Still burning the midnight oil trying to finish up my last minute school projects for K. I really should have started these sooner as my knitting time has been oh so limited lately. I guess the world won't come to an end if I do not finish these two things up until Monday but I would rather have them done on time. We'll see what I can manage. At the very least her classroom slippers should be done by Friday. The only thing left on those is to sew the soles to the bottom of them so they have more traction (felted wool + waxed hardwood floors = slipping and sliding all over the place).



I quickly picked up K's birthday sweater upon finishing Baby L's union suit and have made quite a bit of progress on it. That is until I was about 95% done...



Do you see what I see?



Perhaps upon closer inspection?



How about now?

The sleeve that you see finished in the above photos had a huge color shift making it stand out as very mis-matched from the rest of the sweater. All of the skeins are very different from each other, and two of the skeins even changed color drastically about half way in. I bought all three at the same time from the same dye lot, yet none of them matched. It wasn't obvious, though, until I wound the skeins into balls. I alternated between two of the skeins for the body of the sweater which worked out ok enough but the sleeves had major issues.

I was impatient to rip the stitches out and didn't feel like chasing the light in my house, so these pictures aren't the best representation of how off the skeins were. It's pretty darn drastic.

Since I took the photos I finished up the sleeve seen on the needles and then ripped out the other sleeve that was pictured as finished. I started that sleeve over with leftovers from another ball and it looks much better. I am still not 100% happy with it. I wish I just started over all together with new yarn, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I knit up the yoke on this sweater about 4 times before getting it right (I was modifying an adult sized pattern) and had to rip out other areas more than once. Not to mention the fact that K's birthday is in less than two weeks... So this sweater is what it is. Either way I know K will be happy with it and that is really all that matters!

Now back to frantically knitting...

What are you working on? Happy creating!

If you haven't already, you still have a few minutes or so left to enter to win a copy of the union suit pattern. I am behind tonight...
Giveaway is located here. Good luck!

Megan just released the union suit pattern today and you can buy it now here.

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...